The THIERRY International and Multidisciplinary Postgraduate Program in Leadership,
and PhD Degree phase with a focus on Leadership Development Entrepreneurship,
and on the Design and Implementation of Leadership Programs
1. Programme's roots
Launched in 2004, and in the leadership discipline of study, THIERRY's pioneering doctoral curriculum in leadership and change was Europe's very first postgraduate PhD programme in leadership, and of its educational type, to have been entirely designed by our faculty. Moreover, the programme is an intercontinental and interdisciplinary one, including the structure and contents of the courses. From 2010 onwards the programme was offered by INSIL France and THIERRY Belgium conjointly, and since 2012 the THIERRY-sourced online programme is offered by INSIL on its own. Courses can still be attended at THIERRY, for the blended learning or the fully tailored course delivery modes (see footnote #1).
2. Overall structure
The programme is attended part-time, in combination with relevant professional activity. The entire curriculum (180 ECTS - 72 US credits) is composed of Four Pillars. Each Pillar comprises a given number of course units. The programme is partitioned into two phases: the 'PALS' phase (Postgraduate diploma in Advanced Leadership Studies, consisting of three pillars), and then the PhD phase proper (being the fourth pillar, with the doctorate research and thesis candidacy). The Four Pillars structure, the entire curriculum, and its course units' contents, have been entirely designed by the most senior faculty of our graduate school.
The course delivery and completion is individually-oriented (not group-based). With the exception of the residence module, the distance learning courses are thus completed on a self-paced basis, but within agreed total completion timelines of the course units and the curriculum as a whole.
With the PALS + PhD system our school places special emphasis on: (1) extensive formal knowledge; (2) personal leadership growth; (3) thesis' subject practice-orientation; (4) research in leadership development; (5) thesis design and writing; (6) quality of the thesis, and its true relevance aligning with the graduate's career aims and evolution.
The completion of the initial PALS curriculum leads to the earning of a Postgraduate diploma in Advanced Leadership Studies (it is equivalent to a specialised post-master's degree). The fourth pillar is the doctoral research one, called the Field Project, and culminating in the PhD thesis (dissertation in some countries' terminology).
Since 2012 the focus of the PhD Field Project and thesis is on leadership development, with its related intrapreneurial or entrepreneurship initiatives, and/or on the design and implementation of leadership programmes, or specific components thereof ( see also: field project focus).
THIERRY and INSIL actively endorse entrepreneurial ventures in leadership development initiated by their graduates. Through a specific cooperation process with the institution the graduate can, upon completion of his/her studies, earn back tuition fees in a time-span that varies between 1.5 to 4 years.
3. Programme specifications
The main specifications of the PALS curriculum programme (i.e. the first three pillars) are as follows:
· The programme is usually attended part-time. Distance learning study on a full-time basis is possible only if the entirety of the PALS programme is attended in such way.
· The PALS is course-based, and is offered in three possible learning modes. The curriculum's course units can be attended and completed in either:
· the e-coached distance learning mode, comprising plus one or two residence modules;
· the fully blended learning mode, comprising at least six residence modules; or
· the entirely personalised mode, with a tailor-made curriculum and its specific structure and flow.
· Most courses are offered on a continuous basis, year-round, thus not being subject to academic-year limitations. Study-breaks follow the participant's and the faculty's holiday planning at given moments during the calendar year.
· The curriculum includes one or several residence modules. In general that would be the one-week Summer Residence in France, and taking place in the second week of July (Year 2015 edition).
· There are fourteen course units to be completed in the PALS curriculum. Included are the residence course-unit, and the course unit in learning facilitation undertaken at another institution or in an approved training and development environment, in the participant's country of residence or work-region.
· The course materials are made available by the school, and are sufficiently comprehensive to enable the satisfactory completion of the course examinations. The purchase of optional or supplemental textbooks or e-texts is optional (not mandatory; left to the participant's own choice), while further reading on the worldwide web or in libraries is habitual.
· For most of the course units the learning examination is constituted by three study-assignments, and in a few other course units there is only one comprehensive assignment. Written review is provided for all examinations.
· The distance education guidance is provided by means of e-coaching and mentorship, by means of telecommunication (phone, email,...).
· The PALS curriculum ends with the successful completion of a Final Paper (a comprehensive and practice-oriented type of essay), whereupon the graduate earns the institute's Postgraduate Diploma in Advanced Leadership Studies attesting the successful completion of comprehensive higher education studies at the post-master's level.
4. PhD phase
The description of the subsequent PhD thesis phase (Fourth Pillar) composed of the research towards the thesis, is highlighted on the other pages of our website.
Footnote #1: For the mainstream programme the choice of attending courses at THIERRY rather than at INSIL requires the special affidavit of the INSIL-THIERRY boards conjointly.
© copyright 2014, The THIERRY Graduate School of Leadership, Belgium, Europe. All rights strictly reserved for all countries.| Page-ref 12112010 CLEAR-CREAL for Institut Supérieur International de leadership INSIL International Higher Institute for Leadership of France |Page updated on: 2014-01-14