statutory, and accreditation information
(the information found below was updated in: JUNE 2019)
1. Institutional foundations and activity. The Thierry Graduate School of Leadership (short-name THIERRY), was established in Belgium in the millennium-bridging year 2000, as a private, independent, international, non-profit higher education institution. The school provides various programmes and courses. Its initial enrolment capacity was of 50 students. As of 2019-2020 it is capped at 20 per year. The school also has a bilingual research unit, Recherche Leudance Research, for the study of certain components of leadership. The next five years will constitue the capstone phase of the school's existence.
Independent status (freestanding) A number of particularities, for instance the school's
freestanding (phrased in
Latin as: 'liberum
stantem scholam'), the school's state of independence (based on genuine
more), plus a unique code of conduct paradigm (>
more), and in the domain of practice-oriented studies and
millenary research in leadership, while operating on a self-sustained
basis (without subsidies,
endowments, or external pecuniary support other than the fees paid by the
students), constitute the composite that makes that THIERRY is a
truly unique institution and the only one of its type (sui generis)
in the world.
To ascertain and further maintain the school's generis, an elaborate legal-academic structure was put into place, as explained in the next paragraphs.
provisions. Being based
in Wallonia (a region in French-speaking Belgium), our institution is
entity within a private
not-for-profit educational management
body; its statutes officially registered in Belgium, and
governed by a board of trustees.
There are no governmental, political,
religious, sectarian, or other ties or connections whatsoever, nor are
or other forms or types of partisanship.
3. Educational rights, role, and activity. The school's right to organise and deliver education (in
ius docendi') is in accordance with Article 24 of the Belgian
Constitution. The school is fully dedicated to its scholarly role; for
instance the design of curricula, the delivery of courses, the transfer of
knowledge, and the research activities. All processes
take place in accordance with the graduate school's code of conduct, and a
number of inter-institutional ordinances internationally.
4. Assurance of continued independence. From the organisational functioning (or 'operational') point of view, the THIERRY freestanding or independence principle is guaranteed by means of twinned aegis: on the one hand by the board of trustees of THIERRY's management organisation (the 'first-layer custodian'), and on the other hand by the board of directors of INSIL's management body (the 'second-layer custodian').
5. Academic report, and supervision. THIERRY is supervised since 2010 by its sister-institution INSIL Institut Supérieur International de Leadership of France. The INSIL international higher institute for leadership is registered by the French Ministry of State for National Education, Higher Education, and Research, including for distance education. INSIL manages the cooperation with other institutions and organisations; the reporting to higher education authorities and partner universities; the appointment of its faculty members; the intercollegiate degree accreditation process and validation compliance; and some other administrative and programmatic aspects.
6. Programmes and course delivery. The THIERRY faculty has designed, improved, and provided, a series of programmes (curricula, courses, and syllabi) that lead to a diploma or degree, and the related course delivery and curricular guidance. At THIERRY one also finds its bespoke leadership programmes' activity: the design and delivery of tailor-made high-specialty programmes in leadership development.
Further detailed and historical information about the school and the programmes, go to: extended.
back to information main-page
 Footnote. Historically, from 2000 to 2012 all courses were offered by THIERRY. From Sept. 2012 onwards the course delivery of the MA and PhD curricula took place alternatively at THIERRY or INSIL, and, since October 2015, at THIERRY only, with the final degree-phases since 2010 at INSIL only. In the particular case of the special environmental leadership graduate programme ('TERRA') launched in 2002, it is since 2014 embodied by the i2LN Icare Institute for Leadership and Nature, a type of virtual platform co-hosted by THIERRY and INSIL conjointly.
Copyright 2019, The Thierry Graduate School of Leadership, Belgium. All rights reserved for all
countries. Page update: 2019-06-29